Share with others

12 May 2015

130/365

I've decided that Mother's Day is hard. I want so much to honor my mom, and all those mothers who have been such an example to me. Yet, I hate the expectation of the day, knowing how short I fall as a daughter and as a mom. I hate that my kids apologize for not putting a photo up and not buying a "good enough" gift when really, a phone message and a scribbled note and a hand-drawn sketch and a hug before breakfast means much more. I hate that our situation is complicated, relationships that no Hallmark card ever describes well.

How much more grateful I am for grace, for riches I don't deserve, for ordinary moments of peace, for the sweet delight of ice cream cake, for seeing these people of ours grow and learn and mature? How much more beautiful the promise of eternity, and all things being made new?

(the photo- isn't it a sweet thing? Circa 1968, that's my great-grandma Gracie and my mom and my Grammy and me, all of us stylin' in our 60's wear...)




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are so many of us, including me, who are so blessed by your love, your thoughtfulness, your generosity of spirit, your kindness, your talents, and the examples you set in so many ways. I feel so proud to be the mother of such a beautiful, wonderful daughter and the mother of such incredible children!